Jamaica Bay's West Pond: Make Your Voice Heard
Deadline July 30, 2014
The National Park Service is soliciting comments on alternatives for the breached West Pond at the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge. Learn more & find out how you can help the birds and other wildlife regain this critical habitat area.
NYSOA Fall Birding Weekend
September 27-28, 2014
Hold these dates for a special field trip for NYSOA members to several of Long Island's fall migration hot spots. Destinations may include Jones Beach State Park, Robert Moses State Park, Kissena Corridor Park, Riverhead sod fields for "grasspipers", and Jamaica Bay for shorebirds. The itinerary will be flexible to take advantage of conditions that may result in a coastal land bird flight, as well as up to date bird reports. Bring boots for Jamaica Bay. Please contact
A block of rooms is reserved for the nights of September 26-27 at the Long Island Marriott, Uniondale, NY. The rate is $149.00 per night plus tax. Call (516) 794- 3800 by September 5 to reserve. Ask for the "birding group" room block. Or use the following link: Book your group rate: Birding Group Room Block
NYSOA and the Cayuga Bird Club are pleased to announce this year's
ANNUAL FALL BIRDING CONFERENCE!
NYSOA 67th Annual Meeting
and New State York Birders Conference
Hosted by Cayuga Bird Club
September 19-21, 2014
Ramada Inn, 2310 N Triphammer Rd, Ithaca, NY 14850
See the Visit Ithaca website for additional lodging and camping options.
All birders and guests are welcome.
COME AND ENJOY THESE EXCITING ACTIVITIES:
- Friday evening reception & events at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology
- Saturday evening banquet featuring a program by Dr. Bridget Stutchbury of York University in Toronto, Ontario. Her presentation will be Frequent Fliers: New Discoveries in Bird Migration. Dr. Stutchbury's research involves using geo-locators that use light levels to track individual songbirds to and from their tropical wintering grounds.
- Saturday and Sunday field trips with top birders to great local destinations.
- Poster and paper presentations.
- NYSOA award presentations.
- NYSOA's Annual Business Meeting
- Plenty of time to catch up with old friends and make new ones!
Read more details about the conference
View the weekend's program/schedule
Complete/print registration form for mailing
Fall in the Finger Lakes is both beautiful and busy,
so make your reservations now!
Visit Cayuga Bird Club's website
The objectives of the New York State Ornithological
Association are to document the ornithology of New York State; to foster
interest in and appreciation of birds; and to protect birds and their
Individuals as well as clubs/organizations are welcome
to join and will enjoy the benefits of membership, including subscriptions
to NYSOA's quarterly journal, The
Kingbird, and its newsletter, New
York Birders. NYSOA also offers its individual members
a discounted rate of $25 annually (40% off the regular
rate of $42) for a subscription to the online version of the The Birds
of North America
Are you looking for information
about birding in New York State?
Check out our directory of member organizations
with links to websites listing local field trips and other activities!