Successful Montezuma Weekend!
About 30 birders participated in NYSOA’s Sunday field trip at the Montezuma wetlands complex on August 27. The outing, led by Kevin McGowan, capped off our shorebird weekend, which included an ID workshop Saturday at the Montezuma Audubon Center and dinner in Seneca Falls.
For more details and some photos, check out our facebook page.
NYSOA 70th Annual Meeting
and New State York Birders Conference
Hosted by the Buffalo Ornithological Society
November 10-12, 2017 (Veterans Day weekend)
Niagara Falls, NY
|The Buffalo Ornithological Society (BOS) is hard at work planning the 2017 NYS Birders Conference and NYSOA Annual Meeting. The conference will be held at the new Hilton Hotel right at the entrance to Niagara Falls State Park, November 10-12, 2017 (Veterans Day weekend).
Sabine's Gull, photo by Gale VerHague
The conference will be chock full of great birding and educational activities, along with opportunities to catch up with old friends and make new ones. Highlights will include:
- Friday evening buffet and program with Paul Guris of See Life Paulagics, who will give a lively and informative presentation highlighting the birds of New York’s pelagic zone waters.
- Saturday evening banquet featuring a program by Neil Hayward, author of Lost Among the Birds, a memoir of his 2013 "accidental" big year (in which he netted 749 species and set a new ABA Big Year record). Come hear about exotic birds, remote places, volcanoes, polar bears, Aleutian plumbing and more!
- Saturday and Sunday field trips with top birders to great local destinations.
- Paper presentations Saturday afternoon.
- NYSOA award presentations.
- NYSOA's Annual Business Meeting
The objectives of the New York State Ornithological
Association are to document the ornithology of New York State; to foster
interest in and appreciation of birds; and to protect birds and their
of Birding Ethics
NYSOA endorses the Code
of Birding Ethics developed and promoted by the American
Individuals as well as clubs/organizations are welcome
to join and will enjoy the benefits of membership, including subscriptions
to NYSOA's quarterly journal, The
Kingbird, and its newsletter, New
York Birders. NYSOA also offers its individual members
a discounted rate of $25 annually (40% off the regular
rate of $42) for a subscription to the online version of the The Birds
of North America.
Are you looking for information
about birding in New York State?
Check out our directory of member organizations
with links to websites listing local field trips and other activities!
NYSOA is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.